More Cab Drivers to be on Mississauga Roads Soon
The struggle between taxi drivers and Uber drivers is ongoing, and now, Mississauga is aiming to even the playing field.
The city recently issued 38 new taxicab owner licenses after recommendations from the Hara Report, seemingly a response to how Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) don't require special licenses to drive.
TNCs, essentially referring to Uber, have operated "unlicensed" in Mississauga since 2012.
The TNC Licensing Pilot Project was announced in March of this year. The project is an 18-month operation starting on July 1, 2017 and running until December 21, 2018, that permits TNCs in Mississauga.
As part of the project, it's a requirement that a TNC Brokerage licensing fee of $20,000 be paid to the city, and a TNC Vehicle Operator licensing fee of 30 cents for each ride originating within Mississauga be collected and remitted by the TNC on the 15th of each month.
An amendment to the project has also been announced alongside the 38 new licenses for cab drivers.
According to the city, the amendments focus on fairness between traditional taxicabs and TNCs by reducing the requirements for taxicabs and their drivers through measures including but not limited to the following:
- Removal of the requirement for medical certificates,
- Adopting the Coburg Police Service criminal check for TNCs,
- An increase of allowed demerit points to eight,
- Permitting the use of any four-door vehicle that meets the seven year model requirement,
- Suspension of taxicab training including sensitivity training, defensive driving pre-licence courses, and periodic retraining, and
- Training requirements will become the responsibility of the taxi brokerage or plate owner.
As for TNCs, appropriate insurance for vehicles on the app must be maintained, and the company must ensure drivers have approved criminal background checks and driver abstracts.
Vehicles in use must also comply with the following:
- Must be a four-door vehicle not older than seven years
- Must have a TNC identifier
- Must be a clean vehicle in good repai
- Must have working air conditioning, heating, and seat belts.
When the TNC pilot project is complete, staff will report back to General Committee with recommendations on existing and future regulations.
- Three Teens Arrested Following Hate-Motivated Crime in Mississauga
- Mississauga Politician Rescinds Award for Community Leader Who Expressed Discriminatory Views
- Here’s How Much It Will Cost You to Buy a House in Mississauga Right Now
- 5 Places Outside of Mississauga to Road Trip To
- Top 5 Fresh Fish Seafood Markets in Mississauga