Monster Energy Sues Toronto Raptors Due To Their Logo
Monster Energy is suing the Toronto Raptors due to the "claw on the basketball" logo.
Monster Energy is complaining that the new Raptors' logo is very similar to the energy drink's logo.
Photo courtesy of Monster Energy
In 2014, the Raptors redesigned their logo with Canadian rapper Drake's consultation.
According to Gerben Law Firm, the Raptors filed 18 trademark applications around the new logo. However, in 2015, Monster Energy opposed all of the applications claiming that the "claw" in the Raptors' logo looked too much like the Monster Energy claw.
Photo courtesy of Toronto Raptors
The law firm notes that both parties have exchanged documents, perhaps done depositions, and spent a lot of time and money on this case.
If Monster Energy wins this case, then they could force the Raptors to change their current logo.
The law firm also notes that if the Raptors go on to win the NBA finals, they will become a champion of a major sports league that does not even own the trademark registration for their logo.
- The New Name and Logo for Ontario's Marijuana Stores Has Been Revealed
- Here's Your Chance to Tryout For the Toronto Raptors 905 in Mississauga
- Toronto Raptors Put Out Incredible Video Tribute for the Fans
- Toronto Raptors Sign Mississauga Basketball Player
- The Toronto Raptors' Performance Has Cost McDonald's More than $5 Million
- One arrested, two suspects sought for carjacking of mother and three year old daughter in Mississauga
- PHOTOS: Intersection gets a fun makeover in Mississauga
- Super cute pastry café now open at Square One in Mississauga
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Peel
- More parkland is coming to one of Mississauga’s busiest neighbourhoods