MiWay Fares and Other Fees Could Go Up in Mississauga
Bad news, everyone.
It looks like some municipal fees and charges might be going up shortly.
Mississauga's Budget Committee recently considered new and increased fees and charges for 2017 and the areas affected will be transit fares, fire and emergency services, recreation and parks and forestry programs.
The city says that the increases will help offset the cost of delivering the services.
If you're a public transportation user, you can expect MiWay fare to increase by 10 cents for adult and senior tickets next year.
There will also be a new administration fee for defaulted Provincial Offenses Act (POA) fines and a new charge for non-legislated Fire Safety Plan Reviews.
The new fees and charges are expected to bring $1.4 million in additional revenue.
While all of this this may seem distinctly negative, there is a small silver lining. The additional revenue is expected to alleviate some pressures on next year's property tax rate, so the increases might save you a few bucks on taxes in the long run.
The proposed fees and charges will be presented at a council meeting for approval on October 12, 2016.
- Police Release List of Complaints Made to 911 Regarding Amber Alert for Murdered 11 Year Old Girl
- ARMED KIDNAPPING: Police Searching for Male Kidnapped by Three Masked Men
- Police Dealing with Person in Crisis in Mississauga
- Popular Grocery Store Opening Brand New Location in Mississauga
- Top 5 Brunch Spots in Mississauga