Mississauga's COVID heroes recognized by city
Some people made masks.
Some people delivered groceries to seniors.
Some people worked to raise as much money as possible for local food banks.
Some companies delivered restaurant meals to health-care workers.
Over the course of the pandemic, dozens of residents and companies stepped up to help each other over and a few weeks ago, the City of Mississauga decided to honour those who came forward to make a difference.
The City recently held a virtual ceremony honouring the community’s COVID heroes and published a video highlighting the community’s COVID heroes. The eight-minute Youtube video features several of the city’s individuals, groups and local businesses who were nominated for their actions during the pandemic.
“As I read through the nominations for the Covid Heroes Program, I was overwhelmed with pride for the people who make up our city,” said Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie in a statement.
“However, I wasn’t at all surprised by the incredible ways in which our residents have gone above and beyond to help their neighbours and the community as a whole over the past year.”
More than 500 nominees were saluted by the mayor and all 11 members of city council in the video.
Here is a list of the honourees highlighted by each councillor:
- Ward 1: Slavica Bissylas
- Ward 2: Patricia Jose
- Ward 3: Anoosha Keshav
- Ward 4: Six Mask-eteers
- Ward 5: SacredHand Canada
- Ward 6: Hana Fatima
- Ward 7: Bella Rego
- Ward 8: Angela Morsillo
- Ward 9: Naneese Salama
- Ward 10: Ziba Ghaibi Boveiri
- Ward 11: Anne Marie Byard
“To those who were never too tired, never too busy, and never too indifferent to help, I have the simplest yet strongest words to share. Thank you. Thank you for never saying never. Thank you for always believing that tomorrow can be better. And thank you for showing us all what true strength looks like,” Crombie said.
“You make me grateful every day, Mississauga. And I have never been more honoured to live and work among you than I have been this past year. There is an end to this story that includes all of us and I can’t wait to write it, as a community.”
To see a full list of the honourees, visit the city’s website.
- Mississauga preparing to honour its COVID Heroes soon, asking residents to nominate those who went above and beyond
- Mayor Bonnie Crombie urging residents to continue to support local businesses amid pandemic
- Here's Why The City Is Awarding Over 80 Mississauga Residents And Organizations
- Artwork honouring Hamilton health care workers goes up around city
- Highlights of Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie's State of the City Address
- Thirteen tickets won a massive lottery prize in Ontario but no jackpot
- UPDATE: Brampton teen drowns in Halton Hills area
- Six new COVID-19 cases reported at Mississauga and Brampton grocery stores this week
- BREAKING: Province shortens AstraZeneca second dose to 8 weeks in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario
- Mississauga enters first stage of reopening as COVID-19 restrictions loosen across Ontario