Mississauga's Bianca Andreescu faces defeat by Wimbledon champion Simona Halep
It’s Day 2 of the WTA Finals 2019, and we’re already seeing some exciting match-ups.
Namely, today we saw Mississauga tennis star Bianca Andreescu face off for the very first time against Simona Halep, another top player with a recent big win under her belt after winning the 2019 Wimbledon Championships back in July.
Unfortunately, the Mississauga native wasn’t able to snag victory this time, with Halep taking the latter two sets to win the match.
“The Wimbledon champion saved a match point to edge the US Open winner, 3-6, 7-6(6), 6-3, in the second match from the Purple Group at the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, joining Elina Svitolina as a winner on Monday in round robin play,” the WTA reports.
WTA (@WTA) October 28, 2019
For full coverage of the exciting match, click here.
Andreescu still has plenty of time to show her stuff in this tournament! We’ll update with more of her results later on.
Cover photo courtesy of the Women’s Tennis Association on Twitter
- Bianca Andreescu withdraws from tournament due to injury
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Wins Rogers Cup After Serena Williams Retires from Match
- Here's When Missisauga's Bianca Andreescu Will Be Playing Tonight's U.S. Open Match
- More parkland is coming to one of Mississauga’s busiest neighbourhoods
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Peel
- Peel District School Board says parents have 10 days to decide whether or not to send their children back to class
- Two suspects sought after carjacking in Mississauga
- Super cute pastry café now open at Square One in Mississauga