Mississauga's Andreescu outlasts Sorribes Tormo to earn spot in Miami Open semifinals
Mississauga’s Bianca Andreescu has “pushed” her way through to the semifinals at the Miami Open.
The No. 8 seed outlasted Sara Sorribes Tormo, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in a gruelling quarterfinal match that lasted two hours and 36 minutes.
“That girl can really run,” Andreescu said on the court after her win. “After the first set I was honestly so tired, but we both fought really, really hard. “She’s an incredible fighter. I have no idea how I pushed through, but I fought hard as hard as I could and I’m super happy how I pulled (it) out.
“She played amazing, amazing tennis.”
Andreescu will now look to book a berth in the final when she faces Maria Sakkari in the semifinals on Thursday night.
The Greek player, seeded No. 23 in the tournament, upset second-seeded Naomi Osaka, 6-0, 6-4, ending the Japanese player’s 23-match win streak.
Andreescu battled her way back from a 3-0 deficit to take the first set, before Sorribes Tormo stormed back behind her serve to even the match in the second set.
Andreescu would finish the match with 42 winners, double the 21 made by the Spaniard.
- Mississauga's Andreescu fights way into Miami Open quarterfinals
- Here's When Missisauga's Bianca Andreescu Will Be Playing Tonight's U.S. Open Match
- Bianca Andreescu Reaches First-Ever Grand Slam Semifinals
- Andreescu wins marathon to move on to quarters at Miami Open
- Mississauga's Andreescu to play in Miami Open finals against #1 in the world
- Speed cushions to be installed on four Mississauga roads
- Mississauga and Brampton rolling out mobile vaccine clinics targeting essential workers
- Still no answer from feds as eight more flights and 67 rows affected by COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $6.5 mil home with wine cellar and outdoor kitchen
- Massive $50 million mansion in Mississauga is being used to film Amazon's "The Boys"