Mississauga's Andreescu fights way into Miami Open quarterfinals
A mid-match adjustment has Mississauga’s Bianca Andreescu moving on at the Miami Open.
The eighth-seeded Canadian advanced to the quarterfinals of the WTA Tour event with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Garbine Muguruza on Monday night.
With the fourth-round win, Andreescu will now face unseeded Sara Sorribes Tormo of Spain in the semifinals on Wednesday.
Andreescu struggled early against Muguruza, dropping the opening set before turning things around and winning nine of the next 11 games en route to the win in two hours and 11 minutes.
“It was really tough,” Andreescu said on the WTA website. “She started out playing really, really well. I don’t think I was at the level I wanted to be right at the start of the match, because I knew she was going to come out really, really strong, and that’s what she did.
“But I had to re-adapt, which I did in the second set. I regrouped. I kept fighting. I changed my game plan a little bit as well. And it worked.
Andreescu, who has been trying to recapture her form after a 16-month absence from the courts, saved six of eight break points and showed the fight of old that helped her capture a 2019 U.S. Open title.
“Even when I’m down I know I can find a way,” said Andreescu, who fired 34 winners in the match. “Most of the time, not all of the time. Most of the time, I can always find a way and come back and do really, really well.”
Andreescu now faces an opponent she has yet to play.
“I know she gets to a lot of balls,” she said of Sorribes Tormo. “She has a very heavy spinny ball. She’s a crazy fighter. I want to go out there and fight even harder and hopefully I can do good things.”
- Mississauga's Andreescu outlasts Sorribes Tormo to earn spot in Miami Open semifinals
- Andreescu wins marathon to move on to quarters at Miami Open
- Here's When Missisauga's Bianca Andreescu Will Be Playing Tonight's U.S. Open Match
- Mississauga's Andreescu bows out in opening round of French Open
- Mississauga's Andreescu to play in Miami Open finals against #1 in the world
- Ontario asking feds to ensure that Mississauga and Ontario residents with mixed doses can travel abroad
- One year old girl pulled from backyard pool without vital signs in Burlington
- Metrolinx expanding GO train service in Hamilton
- Oldest theatre in Mississauga is closing permanently
- Arrest follows armed robbery of retail location in Brampton earlier this month