Mississauga Woman Charged With Stealing From Seriously Injured Man
A Mississauga woman who was granted power of attorney after her friend was seriously injured has been arrested for allegedly stealing from him, police say.
Peel police say that in May of 2011, a 60 year-old man was involved a serious motor vehicle collision that resulted in life altering injuries.
As a result, the victim’s friend, who works as a Personal Support Worker (PSW), offered to take care of him and became his continuing power of attorney with responsibilities of property and personal care.
Police allege that between May 2015 and December 2017, the accused misappropriated monies awarded to the victim for her personal use.
Police also allege that the victim was treated poorly by the accused and developed further health issues and that she refused to provide updates to family members as required under the Substitute Decisions Act.
On July 25, 2018, 59-year-old Mississauga woman Wendy Morris was arrested and charged with theft over $5000 by a person holding power of attorney.
She was released with a future court date
Police are asking any other victims who may have been targeted by the accused to come forward.
Police are also advising residents to choose their power of attorney wisely.
"Investigators would also like to remind residents that when choosing your power of attorney, good judgement must be used. The person you decide to appoint as your attorney should be someone you trust to make decisions about finances, housing, food, health, safety and clothing," police say.
Anyone who has information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the Fraud Bureau at 905-453-2121, ext. 3335.
- Police Seeking Assistance in Locating 5-Year-Old Boy
- Reports Suggest Hamilton Crime Boss Critically Injured in Mississauga Shooting
- Ontario Amber Alert Cancelled After Missing Mississauga Boy Found Safe
- BREAKING: Amber Alert issued For 5-Year-Old Boy Last Seen in Mississauga
- Popular Filipino Restaurant Shuts Down in Mississauga
- Police Launch Internal Investigation After Officers Accused of Abusing Power
- Mississauga Woman Accused of Scamming People with Fake Travel Agency
- Mississauga Woman Charged in Connection with “Fraud Caper Investigation”
- Mississauga Hospital Worker Charged With Sexual Assault
- Police Arrest Woman in Connection with High-Profile Murder Investigation