Mississauga Winters Through the Ages
Winter is tough everywhere, but it also has its charm. Snowy roads and ice-covered trees can be quite beautiful, and winter is when we get to experience one of the best parts of the year—the holiday season.
If you love winter, you might be happy to hear that Peel Art Gallery Museum + Archives (PAMA) has put together some pictures of past winters in Mississauga.
Here's a look at winters over the years.
Looking south on the Credit River, at Port Credit in 1957. In the centre of the photo, peeking out above the trees is a water tower, likely at the St. Lawrence Starch factory.
This man, likely Wen Leary, hauled pails of water during the winter, around 1920. The family had farms on both side of Hurontario Street, roughly where Matheson Boulevard now crosses.
This postcard, from the 1910s, shows Streetsville during an early snowfall. The roads appear to still be unpaved, meaning a muddy mess will come during the spring melt.
These frosty frolickers posed outside around 1915. The family lived in Meadowvale.
Mississauga had a local photographer snap images of City Hall throughout its construction, including during the winter of 1985. The area around the City Centre was still largely farmer's fields.
Grab that special someone and explore PAMA's unique spaces and exhibitions that will spark great conversation this holiday season! Inquire at one of our reception desks and a visitor service staff will be happy to show you around. www.pama.peelregion.ca
PAMA is a place to explore and learn about Peel Region's culture and heritage, as well as use conversation, questions and stories to help make new and fascinating connections to the surrounding community. Throughout the year, PAMA offers a variety of workshops and programs for all ages. With so many different programs to choose from, PAMA has something for everyone. Operated by the Region of Peel, PAMA is located at 9 Wellington St. E. in Brampton. Visit pama.peelregion.ca to learn more.
All photos and text courtesy of Peel Art Gallery Museum and Archives
- 4 Big Reasons to Bring the Family to PAMA This Holiday Season
- PAMA offering online activities to keep community connected amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Here's What's Happening at Peel Region's Art Gallery and Museum This Summer
- A Look at Historic Back-to-School Images in Mississauga
- Here’s How PAMA is Keeping Kids and Families Entertained During COVID-19
- Worker at grocery store in Mississauga tests positive for COVID-19
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: World's largest cargo plane lands at Pearson Airport with medical supplies
- Police investigating reports of shots being fired in Mississauga
- A look at what’s open and closed as Mississauga reopens more outdoor amenities
- College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario releases new guidelines for treatment during pandemic