Mississauga to Rename Marco Muzzo Park
Today, Mississauga city council voted to rename Marco Muzzo Memorial Woods and Park, saying the decision was based on concerns from the community.
The park is named after the late Marco Muzzo Sr., a well-known developer who built much of the surrounding community.
The move doesn't come as a surprise in lieu of the uproar surrounding the sentencing of Marco Muzzo, Marco Muzzo Sr.'s grandson. The 29-year-old York Region man was recently sentenced to 10 years in prison for killing four people -- three of them children -- in a drunk driving collision. The tragic incident struck a cord with many, prompting people to demand harsher penalties for drunk drivers and spurring discussions about whether wealth and privilege -- Muzzo's family is very prosperous -- can prove advantageous in court.
The motion to rename the park, put forward by Ward 10 councilor Sue McFadden, calls for the space to be called Marco Muzzo Senior Memorial Woods and Park.
The name change will take effect immediately.
- PHOTOS: Allegedly impaired driver takes out snow plow in Mississauga
- Syrian refugee family makes new life--and opens new business--in Mississauga
- Police urging Mississauga drivers 'donut' try this yourselves
- Last call to claim winning lotto prize in Mississauga
- New police station coming to Mississauga