Mississauga tennis superstar Bianca Andreescu inks deal with Gatorade
There's no doubt that 2019 was an absolutely monumental year for Mississauga-raised tennis superstar, Bianca Andreescu—and it looks like 2020 could be just as big.
Gatorade Canada recently announced that it has signed a partnership deal with the 19-year-old Canadian tennis prodigy, welcoming her to their line-up of world-class athletes.
The partnership comes on the heels of Andreescu's electric year on the WTA tour. In 2019, Andreescu saw her WTA ranking skyrocket into the top five in the world. Her rapid ascent was a result of Premier titles at Indian Wells and Rogers Cup as well as a Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open.
Andreescu is the only Canadian in the Open Era, male or female, to win a Grand Slam singles title and the youngest Grand Slam champion since 2004.
She capped off a memorable year with two more prestigious awards - the 2019 Lou Marsh Trophy for Canada’s top athlete of the year and the WTA Newcomer of the Year award. Andreescu's U.S. Open win also prompted the creation of the She The North Rally at Celebration Square in Mississauga. The September 2019 event attracted thousands, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
In December 2019, Bianca Andreescu was also named Canadian Press female athlete of the year.
“Gatorade has a rich legacy of partnering with the highest caliber of athletes, and Bianca has already demonstrated her place in an unparalleled group of athletes,” said Lourdes Seminario, senior director of marketing at PepsiCo Canada.
“We believe Bianca has one of the brightest futures of anyone in tennis and we look forward to fueling her to victory for years to come.”
Andreescu expressed excitement about the partnership.
“I’m so pumped to be teaming up with an amazing brand like Gatorade and to have them as a supportive partner for my journey ahead,” said Andreescu. “Gatorade has always fuelled the best athletes in the world. This partnership is an amazing opportunity for the future”.
Andreescu joins an accomplished team of world-class athletes in the Gatorade family, including Sidney Crosby, Marie-Philip Poulin, Andre DeGrasse, Lionel Messi, Serena Williams, Usain Bolt, Todd Gurley, Dwyane Wade, Karl-Anthony Towns, Paul George and Jayson Tatum.
Andreescu is currently recovering from a knee injury sustained at the WTA Finals.
- House of the Week: $3 mil family home with jacuzzi
- Happy 99th birthday, Hazel - Hazel McCallion's photos through the years
- Police searching for sex trafficking offender known to frequent GTA
- Single-home buyers and condo living on the rise; here's what you need to earn in Mississauga
- Raptors' superfan honoured by Basketball Hall of Fame
- Mississauga tennis star Bianca Andreescu is Canada's athlete of the year
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles
- Bianca Andreescu Reaches First-Ever Grand Slam Semifinals
- Bianca Andreescu withdraws from tournament due to injury
- Mississauga tennis player Bianca Andreescu becomes highest-ranked Canadian ever on WTA rankings