Mississauga tennis star Bianca Andreescu will not be competing at the US Open
Bianca Andreescu, the 20-year-old tennis superstar who hails from Mississauga, recently took to social media to announce that she will not be playing in the US Open in 2020.
“After many discussions with those closest to me, I have made the difficult decision not to return to New York this year. I have taken this step in order to focus on my match fitness and ensure that I return ready to play at my highest level,” Andreescu said in a statement posted to social media.
Andreescu, who beat Serena Williams to win the US Open 2019, was the first Canadian to ever win the tournament as well as the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam singles title.
The City of Mississauga held a huge “She the North” rally for the up and coming athlete at Celebration Square after the match.
In a statement, Andreescu said COVID-19 and other “unforeseen challenges” prompted her decision to forgo the tournament
“The US Open victory last year has been the high point of my career thus far and I will miss not being there. However, I realize that the unforeseen challenges, including the COVID pandemic, have compromised my ability to prepare and compete to the degree necessary to play at my highest level. I want to express my appreciation to the USTA and the WTA for all of their efforts in making the event happen. I look forward to joining my competitors back on court soon.”
Andreescu has had to miss out on a few tournaments since injuring her knee in the WTA Finals in China in October 2019.
She’s missed the Australian Open, the Dubai Duty-Free Tennis Championships and the Qatar Total Open.
Andreescu was scheduled to compete in March in the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, but the tournament was cancelled due to the pandemic.
- Bianca Andreescu withdraws from tournament due to knee injury
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles
- Mississauga tennis champ Bianca Andreescu will sit out Australian Open due to knee injury
- Here's When Missisauga's Bianca Andreescu Will Be Playing Tonight's U.S. Open Match
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
- A McDonald's location inside a Walmart in Mississauga has temporarily closed down due to a COVID-19 case
- Mississauga grandfather celebrating big lotto win
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 25
- Police searching for suspect following sexual assault at GO station in Mississauga
- Province places new restrictions on bars and restaurants, closes all strip clubs