Mississauga tennis star Bianca Andreescu is Canada's athlete of the year
Anyone who’s been following Bianca Andreescu’s tennis career lately knows that she’s been tearing it up on the court this past year, and it looks like she’s set to end 2019 on the highest note possible.
The Mississauga native has been awarded the prestigious Lou Marsh trophy, an annual award given to those who have been recognized as Canada’s top athlete of year.
Andreescu is the 79th recipient of the trophy, and the first ever tennis player to get it.
“I’m so thankful for this award. I was not expecting it and to be the first tennis player to win is even more surreal,” Andreescu said in a Tennis Canada report.
Game. Set. Lou Marsh. @Bandreescu_ writes more history, becoming the first tennis player to earn the Lou Marsh Trophy as Canada's athlete of the year.— Tennis Canada (@TennisCanada) December 9, 2019
Relive the magic of #SheTheNorth's historic season: pic.twitter.com/LbfTA505jI
“None of my success this year would have been possible without the support from all of Canada. Canadian sports crushed it this year so there are definitely many other athletes who deserve a piece of this award as well - we all motivate each other to be better.”
Andreescu’s accomplishments this year have been insane, including winning the US Open 2019 Women’s Singles (the first Canadian in history to win a Grand Slam singles title). Her outstanding results saw her become the highest-ranked Canadian ever on the WTA rankings, as well as having the city commemorate her with a massive She the North rally at Celebration Square.
“I can’t wait for what 2020 will bring and am always proud to represent Canada at the highest level,” she said.
We can’t wait either! Congratulations to Bianca Andreescu for winning the trophy!
Cover photo courtesy of Bianca Andreescu’s Instagram
- Archaeological artifacts found at site of a proposed hotel in Mississauga
- PICK A SIDE: What's the minimum amount to tip at a restaurant?
- PHOTOS: History-making, 18 million square foot development planned for Mississauga
- Seven-year-old child shot in Hamilton
- More snow coming to Mississauga this weekend
- Mississauga tennis player Bianca Andreescu becomes highest-ranked Canadian ever on WTA rankings
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles
- Mississauga tennis superstar Bianca Andreescu inks deal with Gatorade
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
- Mississauga Tennis Champ Bianca Andreescu Rockets Up the Global Rankings