Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Advances to Finals at Rogers Cup
Bianca Andreescu is on a hot streak at this year’s Rogers Cup, and she just might be able to win it all.
According to a Rogers Cup statement, the 19 year old Mississauga native will be advancing to finals — making her the first Canadian woman in 50 years to reach the finals at this tournament.
It took her match points, but Canada's Bianca Andreescu finally edged over the finish line with one last backhand winner.— Rogers Cup (@rogerscup) August 10, 2019
Read more on a landmark moment for @Bandreescu_ and for Canadian tennis: https://t.co/XeaPIjmIcz
“[Andreescu] accomplished this historic feat by upending American Sofia Kenin in straight sets 6-4, 7-6 (5),” the statement reads.
Depending on the results of the other semi-final, Andreescu’s next and final opponent will either be Czech qualifier Marie Bouzkova or three-time Rogers Cup champion Serena Williams.
“If she were to play the 23-time Grand Slam champion, it would mark the first time in their careers that the two have met. Meanwhile, Andreescu has faced Bouzkova in the past - she has a 2-0 record against the Czech qualifier.”
WTA (@WTA) August 10, 2019
We’ll see soon if Andreescu has what it takes to win the whole tournament and bring back the championship.
You can learn more about the full Rogers Cup schedule here.
Cover photo courtesy of Andreescu’s official Instagram account
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu to Face Serena Williams in Rogers Cup Finals
- Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Enters Quarter-Finals at Rogers Cup
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Wins Rogers Cup After Serena Williams Retires from Match
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Wins First Round at Rogers Cup
- Mississauga Tennis Champ Bianca Andreescu Rockets Up the Global Rankings