Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Wins Rogers Cup After Serena Williams Retires from Match
After a long and tough tournament, Bianca Andreescu has been crowned the champion in the Rogers Cup.
Her final game, scheduled today at 1:00 p.m., ended up being cut short when opponent Serena Williams was forced to withdraw from the match, citing an upper back injury.
Andreescu approached the crying Williams and offered her condolences, and the two competitors shared a hug.
WTA (@WTA) August 11, 2019
Williams apologized for the circumstances, WTA Tennis reports.
“Thank you guys. I’m sorry I can’t do it today, I tried but I just couldn’t do it,” Williams said. “Bianca, you’re a great sportswoman. Thanks to my team. It’s been a tough year, but we’ll keep going.”
Despite the unexpected conclusion to the tournament, Andreescu peformed spectacularly to reach finals, and today’s win cements her position as the first Canadian woman to win the Rogers Cup in 50 years.
“Serena you made me cry a bunch over there. I know what it’s like to pull out of tournaments and be injured,” Andreescu said. “But you’re truly a champion, I’ve watched you play so many times. You are truly a champion on and off the court.”
For full coverage of the final game, visit RogersCup.com.
Congratulations to Bianca Andreescu for the amazing win!
Cover photo courtesy of Roger’s Cup on Twitter
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga
- VIDEO: People going nuts for Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Mississauga
- Anyone caught violating the EMCPA will be fined between $750 and $1,000
- The Truth Behind the Mysterious Koliba Park in Mississauga
- Region of Peel takes stronger measures to keep COVID-19 patients quarantined
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu to Face Serena Williams in Rogers Cup Finals
- Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Advances to Finals at Rogers Cup
- Mississauga Tennis Champ Bianca Andreescu Rockets Up the Global Rankings
- Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Enters Quarter-Finals at Rogers Cup
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles