Mississauga tennis champ Bianca Andreescu will sit out Australian Open due to knee injury
Bianca Andreescu was a force to be reckoned with in 2019, but her 2020 will have to start out a little quieter due to circumstances outside her control.
The Mississauga native won’t be able to compete in the upcoming Australian Open this month, citing a knee injury that’s still in the process of healing.
“I feel better and stronger every day but after discussing it with my team and following the recommendation of the doctors, the Australian Open is unfortunately too soon in my rehab process,” Andreescu explained on her social media.
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little update on my knee rehab after I got injured at the WTA finals in Shenzhen. My rehab is going well, I feel better and stronger every day but after discussing it with my team and following the recommendation of the doctors, the Australian— Bianca (@Bandreescu_) January 11, 2020
Open is unfortunately too soon in my rehab process and I sadly will not be able to play in it this year. It was a very tough decision to make as I love to play in Melbourne but I have to respect the recuperation plan for my knee and body. I can’t wait to come back to Aus soon x— Bianca (@Bandreescu_) January 11, 2020
She sustained the injury during the WTA Finals in Shenzhen, China last October. The injury also forced her to withdraw from the currently ongoing ASB Classic in New Zealand.
The Australian Open will run from January 20 to February 2.
Photo courtesy of Bianca Andreescu on Instagram
- BREAKING: First coronavirus patient confirmed at Sunnybrook Hospital
- Teachers' strike to affect Peel and Hamilton-Wentworth school boards
- Various milk products recalled due to sanitizer contamination
- Ontarians are being warned not to participate in the TikTok penny challenge
- Power outage affecting over 600 homes and businesses in Mississauga
- Bianca Andreescu forced to withdraw from tournament due to injury
- Bianca Andreescu of Mississauga Withdraws From French Open Due to Injury
- Bianca Andreescu withdraws from tournament due to injury
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Advances in Australian Open
- BREAKING: Mississauga's Own Bianca Andreescu Advances to U.S. Open Finals