Mississauga Teacher Fired in Wake of Sex Assault Charges
A teacher accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl from a private Mississauga school has been fired, say officials.
“Parents got an e-mail’ about the allegations on Saturday night, Safa and Marwa Islamic School vice-principal Angie Hindy said Sunday morning.
The man, in his second year of teaching at Safa and Marwa - which is referred to as SAM - was working with secondary students.
Allegations were made against the teacher by one student last week.
SAM’s administration team immediately suspended the teacher and is fully cooperating with Peel Regional Police, Hindy said.
Once charges were laid, the teacher was dismissed.
The alleged incidents took place outside of school hours and not on school property.
” … The safety and well-being of each and every student is the school's priority,” reads a statement from principal Elham Abdel-hamid, adding “I want to assure you that SAM continues to be a safe place for your child to learn and grow.”
Support staff will be available for students on Monday and counselling will run for “as long as we feel that we need it,” said Hindy.
Tahir Mahmood, 41, is charged with sexual assault and sexual exploitation.
He’s scheduled to appear in Brampton court on Apr. 4.
Anyone with information is asked to phone 12 Division's criminal investigation bureau at (905) 453-2121 ext. 1233 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
- PHOTOS: Multiple Vehicles Collision in Mississauga Plaza
- Should This New McDonald’s Initiative Come to Mississauga?
- Square One Introducing Special Pass for Certain Shoppers in Mississauga
- Here’s a Look at All the Movies and TV Shows That Were Recently Shot in Mississauga
- Pedestrian Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Vehicle in Mississauga
- Teacher at Mississauga School Charged with Sex Assault
- Mississauga High School Teacher Charged in Connection with Sexual Assault
- Teacher Who Taught in Mississauga Facing Sexual Assault Charges
- Misconduct Allegations Against Mississauga High School Teacher Withdrawn
- Mississauga Teacher Charged in Sex Assault Case