Mississauga Student Wins Prestigious Honour
We've always known we have a lot of brilliant and talented students in Mississauga, and now it looks like another one of our very own residents is walking away with a prestigious medal.
The Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario) recently congratulated Mississauga resident Faghya Samra Shafiq for capturing the Ontario Gold Medal as the top writer of the Common Final Examination (CFE) in the province.
Written in September, the CFE is a national three-day evaluation that assesses a student's critical analysis, decision-making and professional judgment skills. It also looks at communication and ethics.
Shafiq is already quite accomplished, earning both a bachelor of business administration and a masters of accounting degree from York University's Schulich School of Business.
She currently works at Ernst & Young LLP in Toronto.
"Beyond the technical knowledge, the CPA path provides you with work experience and exposure to a variety of businesses, industries, and people," Shafiq says. "Being able to work with bright minds and establish a skillset that is multidimensional and versatile is the reason I chose to pursue this designation, as it will provide me with a base that will help differentiate me in whatever career path I choose."
Interestingly enough, Ontario had 2,252 of the country's 5,580 successful CFE writers.
"Congratulations to the members of the National Honour Roll and all of the successful Ontario CFE writers," said Carol Wilding, FCPA, FCA, president and CEO of CPA Ontario. "The high standards of the CPA certification program ensure that graduates are equipped with the skills, knowledge and professionalism needed to navigate the ever-changing business landscape, while protecting the public interest. During the course of their careers, these students will benefit Ontario and its business community for many years to come."
Another two Mississauga students made it onto the the 2017 Ontario CFE National Honour Roll—including Dylan Green of S + C Partners LLP and Adam Yan of PepsiCo Foods Canada.
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- 5 Hidden Gem Shows at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $2 mil family home with impressive kitchen
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Ice from other vehicle shatters windshield in Mississauga
- Armed suspects flee attempted bank robbery in Mississauga
- Ontario Launches New Initiatives To Help Students Learn Math Skills
- More Than One-Third of College and University Students Receiving Free Tuition Grants in Ontario
- Free Job Skills Training Coming to Ontario
- Ontario launching new program to help veterans find work in Mississauga
- Ontario Set to Start Collecting Data on Student Race and Ethnicity