Mississauga Student Awarded Largest Canadian Undergrad Scholarship for STEM
Congratulations go out to a student who won a massive scholarship for new undergrads headed into their first year of university for a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) degree!
Bonus: he’s from Mississauga.
Mississauga resident Mickey Dang has officially received a whopping $100,000 scholarship to pursue his degree in Systems Design Engineering at the University of Waterloo in the fall.
Schulich leader Mickey Dang
Schulich Leader Scholarships were launched in 2012. The $100 million program doles out 50 undergraduate scholarships each year, across top Canadian universities.
Twenty-five undergraduate scholarships, valued at $100,000, are given out to students pursuing engineering degrees. The other 25 scholarships, valued at $80,000, are reserved for students pursuing degrees in science, technology or math.
Belleville, Edmonton, and Laval are just a few of the other cities that these smart cookies hail from, and they’re attending universities like McMaster, the University of Toronto, and the University of Manitoba, in September.
Dang attended Gordon Graydon Memorial Secondary School in Mississauga and says a little known fact about him is that he had the opportunity to meet and talk to the CEO of Samsung Canada for almost an entire day.
As for what makes Dang an ideal Schulich leader, he says it’s his joy of learning.
“I make a great Schulich Leader because I love the journey of learning more than its elusive destination,” he said.
“Schulich Leader scholarship recipients are the best and brightest STEM students in Canada,” said businessman and philanthropist Seymour Schulich. “I truly believe that many of these students will make great contributions to society, both on a national and global scale. With their university expenses covered, they can focus their time on their studies, research projects, extracurriculars, and entrepreneurial ventures. They are the next generation of technology innovators.”
More than 1,300 leaders vie for this incredible scholarship. Having this financial burden off of their backs will surely help the 50 chosen leaders succeed.
Here’s the full list of recipients for 2017:
We wish all of the leaders the best!
For more details, click here.
To learn more about Dang, click here.
- Three Teens Arrested Following Hate-Motivated Crime in Mississauga
- Mississauga Politician Rescinds Award for Community Leader Who Expressed Discriminatory Views
- UPDATE: Here's What's Happening with the Hurontario LRT Project in Mississauga
- Special Weather Alert Now in Effect for Mississauga
- 5 Spas to Road Trip to Outside of Mississauga
- Mississauga-Based University Ranks Best in Canada
- Mississauga High School Students Win Top Prize $50k in Samsung Contest
- Mississauga Students Can Get Free Undergrad Degrees in Germany
- More Than One-Third of College and University Students Receiving Free Tuition Grants in Ontario
- Some Mississauga Students are Dating to Pay Off Student Loans