Mississauga Shooting Suspect Also Wanted on Murder and Child Sexual Assault Charges
A man who is wanted after allegedly shooting a woman and stealing two vehicles—including a police cruiser—appears to have outstanding warrants in connection to other crimes, including second-degree murder and the sexual assault of a child.
Recently, Peel police appealed to the public for help locating a man wanted for attempted murder after allegedly shooting a woman in Mississauga.
On Tuesday (August 13), at approximately 2:30 pm., police were called to the Apple Blossom Circle area in relation to a dispute involving weapons.
When police arrived, officers found a female victim suffering from gunshot wounds.
The male suspect involved had fled the scene but was located by officers in the Sandford Farm Drive and Stargazer Drive area in Mississauga.
Police say an altercation took place between the suspect and the officers when the suspect fled in an officer's police vehicle.
The cruiser was located a short distance away after the suspect abandoned it.
The suspect allegedly stole a second vehicle, a 2013 white Hyundai Sante Fe SUV with license plate AYVL 950. The vehicle and the suspect are still outstanding.
The investigation has identified the suspect as Michael Cleghorn, 31, who has no fixed address.
Yesterday's incident does not appear to be the suspect's first brush with law enforcement.
Back in 2017, Thunder Bay police announced that the same suspect was wanted for second-degree murder in connection with a homicide that occurred in Thunder Bay on May 22 of that year.
Thunder Bay police also said that Toronto police were searching for the suspect in connection with sexual assault allegations stemming from an incident involving an underage victim.
Toronto police said the suspect was wanted in connection with sexual interference charges. Police also alleged that the suspect exposed himself to a person under 16 years of age.
He was also wanted for uttering threats.
The suspect is described as a black male with a medium complexion who is 6'2" tall and weighs 180 pounds.
It is unknown if he has suffered any injuries from this incident. Police believe he may attempt to seek medical treatment.
Police say he should not be approached and should be considered armed and dangerous.
The Special Investigations Unit has assumed responsibility for the investigation.
Anyone with any information about the incident or on the location of the suspect is asked to contact investigators at the 11 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 1133.
Anonymous information may also be submitted by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or by visiting peelcrimestoppers.ca.
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: First responders salute hospital workers in Mississauga
- Residents shutting their lights off tonight for Earth Hour 2020
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Update from the Peel District School Board regarding COVID-19
- These stores are still open at Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- Police Asking For Help To Locate Suspect in Mississauga Shooting
- Police arrest suspect in connection to shooting in Mississauga
- Police Arrest and Identify Suspect in Connection with Sexual Assault Incidents in Mississauga
- Police Searching for Nightclub Shooting Suspect in Mississauga
- WANTED: Police Still Searching for Mississauga Theft Suspect