Mississauga set to host its first-ever virtual Canada Day celebration
We all knew Canada Day was going to look a little different this year, but the day won't pass without a formal celebration.
Although thousands of people won't be able to converge upon Celebration Square for a massive outdoor event, the City of Mississauga is hosting a virtual celebration for Canada's 153rd birthday on July 1.
Good Morning Mississauga will be hosted by Global News’ Farah Nasser and ET Canada's Sangita Patel.
This virtual celebration, presented by Tim Hortons, will begin at 10 a.m. on July 1 and will feature interviews with and musical performances by some local stars, including Johnny Orlando, Mia Martina, Fito Blanko, NBA player RJ Barrett and Mark Pelli of award-winning band, Magic!.
Mayor Bonnie Crombie and council members will host a modified official ceremony, where residents will be invited to take the oath of reaffirmation virtually.
To mark the 40th anniversary of O Canada becoming the national anthem, the Mississauga Children's Choir and Mississauga Symphony Orchestra will join the celebration through recorded performances of O Canada.
The city is also encouraging residents to decorate their windows for Canada Day using its online Celebration Kit. Local artist DaHye Kim created artwork that residents can print and colour for the city-wide public art project.
Residents will be able to download the artwork here.
If you want to enjoy some fireworks that you don't have to set off yourself (although you will be permitted to purchase and use fireworks for private celebrations on July 1), the city's Canada Day celebration will be punctuated with augmented-reality fireworks presented by Tim Hortons in collaboration with snapd.
Residents are invited to share in this experience anywhere in the city, but physical distancing rules apply.
Any time after 7 p.m., point your device to the sky and watch the show. To participate, viewers will need to download snapd's HUB app.
Residents will also have the opportunity to enter a contest to win a virtual meet and greet with award-winning artist, Johnny Orlando. To take part, enter at GoodMorningSauga.ca.
Details on the city's Canada Day celebration can be found here.
- Mississauga announces plans for a virtual Canada Day celebration
- Celebration Square Unveils Canada Day Celebration Lineup
- Here’s Everything You Need to Know About Mississauga’s Massive Canada Day Celebration
- The Strumbellas Set To Visit Mississauga For Canada Day Celebration
- Aerial Video - Canada Day Fireworks @ Celebration Square
- Thirteen tickets won a massive lottery prize in Ontario but no jackpot
- UPDATE: Brampton teen drowns in Halton Hills area
- Mississauga enters first stage of reopening as COVID-19 restrictions loosen across Ontario
- Mississauga, Brampton vaccine clinics taking place this weekend
- Trio of suitors to bid on anaerobic digestion plant in Clarington