Mississauga Residents May Be Eligible for Discounted Bus Fare on MiWay
If you're a MiWay user who sometimes struggles to make ends meet, you might be able to catch a break on fares.
Now, low-income Mississauga residents can apply for discounted public transit fares through the MiWay Affordable Transportation Pilot Program, available from June 1 to Feb 28, 2017 (meaning you can access the discounted fares during this period if you qualify).
The program is a partnership between the city and the Region of Peel and it was launched to help less flush transport users save a little on fares, as transportation costs can be formidable for regular MiWay riders.
"The MiWay Affordable Transportation Pilot Program will allow low income Mississauga residents to purchase a monthly PRESTO pass at a 50 per cent discount," said Geoff Marinoff, Director, Transit, City of Mississauga, in a recent press release "Mississauga joins other municipalities such as Hamilton, York Region and Halton Region in creating an affordable transit program to allow riders who need it most to commute to work and appointments. A report on lessons learned from the pilot is planned for 2017."
The program is open to residents of all ages who earn an income below the low-income measure (LIM) thresholds. If you're a single person who earns $19,930 or less a year, you can qualify. If you apply, you will be eligible for a subsidy of 50 per cent off a MiWay pass. You can apply here.
Applications will be accepted until Aug. 31 on a first come, first serve basis up to a maximum of 2,500 participants.
So, if you're in need, apply as soon as possible.
For more information, call 905-791-7800 ext. 8703 or email affordabletransitpilot [at] peelregion [dot] ca.
- Top 5 Most Expensive Restaurants in Mississauga
- Police investigating hotel robbery in Mississauga
- Police called after racism discussions become heated at Peel District School Board meeting
- Busy Mississauga library to close for two years for a multi-million-dollar renovation
- Ontario woman and her husband test positive for coronavirus
- MiWay Extending its Affordable Transportation Pilot Program in Mississauga
- MiWay Piloting Programs for Lower-Income Residents in Mississauga
- Some Residents Are About to Save A Lot of Money on MiWay
- Some MiWay Fares Set to Climb at the End of the Month
- Discounted Transit Passes Officially Available in Mississauga