Mississauga-Raised Actor Simu Liu Set to Star in Upcoming Marvel Film
Fans of Marvel movies (and superhero movies in general) should be pleased to hear that a Mississauga-raised actor will be starring in an upcoming Marvel film.
Simu Liu, who you might know as Jung Kim on the popular CBC sitcom Kim’s Convenience, has been cast as the lead of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
Liu was born in born in China and came to Canada at the age of 5, where he was raised in Erin Mills, Mississauga.
The announcement that Liu would play Shang-Chi was recently made at Comic-Con 2019.
The film, which will be Marvel’s first starring an Asian superhero, is directed by Destin Daniel Cretton and is set to release on February 12, 2021.
It is based on the character of Shang-Chi, who first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in 1973.
The movie’s cast also includes actress/rapper Awkwafina and actor Tony Leung.
Now that the craziness is over, the work begins.— Simu Liu (@SimuLiu) July 21, 2019
There is so much at stake here; we are fighting for our identity, for our right to be seen, to BELONG.
Eternally grateful to Marvel, to Kevin, Jonathan and Destin for this gift. @awkwafina LET’S GET TO WORK BABYYYYY!!!
Few details about the film have been released at this time, but we can expect more news down the line as production continues.
Will you be checking out Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings when it comes out?
- Mississauga-raised actor Simu Liu takes on another important role
- Mississauga Actor Starring in Brand New Netflix Series
- Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman dead at 43
- Disney Plus to hike monthly price by $3 in Canada, introduces new Star service
- Suspicious Attacks Prompt Cineplex to Pull Film From Theatres Again
- Man reportedly threatening to shoot people in building in Mississauga: Police
- Subway can press $210-million defamation suit against CBC for show on chicken content
- Ontario, Peel Region show drop in COVID cases today, but technical issues may be the reason
- Ontario ticket holder claims $1 million Maxmillion prize
- Changes coming to garbage pickup this winter in Mississauga