CLOSURE: Mississauga postal facility faces another COVID outbreak as 90 workers sent home
The Mississauga Gateway Postal facility has been hit again with an outbreak of COVID-19 with 90 workers sent home as Peel Public Health has shut down an entire shift.
Canada Post indicates 12 workers tested positive within an office at the Dixie Rd./Eglinton Ave. complex and under the new powers of the section 22 order the health department sent the large group of employees home yesterday to isolate for 10 days.
The office affected is one that deals with international mail and is cleared by the Canada Border Services Agency. Canada Post said contingency plans are underway and customers expecting international packages should expect delays.
"Canada Post continues to provide voluntary onsite rapid COVID-19 testing to all employees and contractors at our Gateway facility," Canada Post said in a prepared statement. "Any employee who tests positive must leave the workplace and self-isolate. In each case, Public Health is notified, and employees and the union are informed. Paid leave provisions are in place to support employees."
This is the second major outbreak at the location. Earlier this year 300 employees were forced into isolation and one worker died as a result of contracting COVID-19. These occurrences have happen even though the unionized workers have a sick-leave plan. Members of the union are now calling for the Crown corporation and the health department to come up with a program to vaccinate the 4,5000 essential workers on-site.
Under the new rules of the section 22 order, a business must close or partially close when five or more people at a workplace test positive for the virus within a 14-day period. Seven workplaces in Peel Region are currently in partial closure because of the new guidelines.
- All employees must now be tested at Canada Post facility in Mississauga as COVID-19 outbreak grows
- COVID outbreak sends 350 workers home at Mississauga's Gateway facility that will disrupt mail service across Canada
- Canada Post workers self-isolating after outbreak at facility in Mississauga
- 121 workers at Mississauga's Gateway postal facility test positive for COVID-19
- Eight employees test positive for COVID-19 at Canada Post facility in Mississauga
- Five-year-old child crossing road on bike in Mississauga dies after being struck by vehicle
- MAYORS CHAT: Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie chats about COVID-19 updates, vaccines and tickets - May 4, 2021
- Mississauga woman accused of abduction
- WANTED: Cops hunt four Brampton men on the run
- Father of three from Mississauga celebrating big lotto win "couldn’t believe it"