Mississauga on lookout for people selling fireworks illegally as long weekend approaches


Published May 15, 2023 at 10:28 am

fireworks Burlington museum Canada July

Mississauga bylaw enforcement officers are out in force this week looking for vendors who may be illegally selling fireworks in advance of the Victoria Day long weekend.

Licensed fireworks vendors are allowed to sell their goods for 10 days leading up to Victoria Day, which falls next Monday (May 22).

The City of Mississauga says its bylaw enforcement staff will spend the week conducting inspections of licensed vendors, investigating complaints about unlicensed vendors and proactively inspecting for unlicensed vendors.

“Enforcement staff will be responding to fireworks complaints and proactively providing public education to residents on fireworks regulations on May 21 and 22,” City officials add.

Victoria Day is one of only four days throughout the year in Mississauga when residents can set off fireworks on their private property without having to obtain a permit.

They can also do so on Canada Day, Lunar New Year and Diwali.

Meanwhile, City officials, who are in the midst of considering changes to fireworks regulations, remind residents of some of the regulations governing use of fireworks:

  • residents are not permitted to set off fireworks in a street, public property (parks, etc.), a parking lot or any private property that is not their own
  • fireworks on private property may only be set off on the statutory holiday (May 22). If it rains on Victoria Day, residents are permitted to set off fireworks the day after the holiday (May 23)
  • fireworks are only permitted until midnight
  • to use fireworks on private property any other day of the year, residents must obtain a permit from Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services
  • the sale of fireworks in Mississauga requires a licence issued by City of Mississauga bylaw enforcement staff

Residents may also submit complaints to officials regarding  the sale of and illegal or dangerous use of fireworks.

Visit the City of Mississauga website for more information on making complaints.

To report fireworks located on private property, residents can call the City’s 311 information line.

To file a complaint related to fireworks use on public roadways, call Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3111.

For complaints about use of fireworks in City parks and at schools, call 905-615-4060.

For all other firework enquiries, call Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services at 905-456-5700.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising