Mississauga Offers Youth Free MiWay Rides This Summer
For a third straight year, the City of Mississauga is offering youth ages 12 to 14 the Freedom Pass. The popular pass provides incentives like swimming for free at City pools and riding MiWay free all summer long. The pass begins on July 1 and is valid through to August 31.
"Summer is the perfect time for youth to get comfortable using transit," said Geoff Marinoff, Transit Director. "Our goal with the program is to encourage them to take part in community events and programs around the city, while becoming familiar with MiWay transit routes."
This year the Freedom Pass includes a Green Challenge, which encourages Freedom Pass holders to do green activities around Mississauga such as tree planting, visit a Farmers Market, volunteer at an Earth Market or participate in a bike ride. Pass holders participating in a green activity can take a selfie and upload it to their Instagram, Facebook or Twitter account using the hashtag #freetobegreen. Photos will be shared on the City's Storify page.
Applying for a Pass
Applications for the Freedom Pass start on Sunday, May 1 (10,000 passes are available).
- Visit mississauga.ca/freedompass.
- Complete the application (parent/guardian signature is needed);
- Bring the completed application, along with a piece photo ID displaying proof of age, to any City-operated community centre.
- A photo will be taken by the customer service staff to create a personalized Freedom Pass.
Only valid, photographed Freedom Pass holders are eligible to ride MiWay for free. All other riders must pay regular fares. To learn more about MiWay, visit miway.ca or plan a route with the Plan a Trip tool or call 905-615-INFO (4636) for route and schedule information.
For more on the Freedom Pass, please visit: mississauga.ca/freedompass.
- Police Investigating Threat Against Hospital in Mississauga
- American Pizza Restaurant Opening Second Canadian Location in Square One in Mississauga
- Police Not Facing Charges After Woman Jumps Off of Roof in Mississauga
- Mississauga’s Housing Market Showing Signs of Trouble
- Major Snowstorm Possible for Mississauga