Mississauga named second most rat-infested city in Ontario
Published September 15, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Considering the fact that a Mississauga city councillor is calling for a rebate program for residents dealing with reported rodent infestations, it comes as no surprise that Mississauga is one of the rattiest cities in Ontario.
Orkin Canada released its list of the 25 most rat-infested cities, and four of the top five were in the GTA, while seven of the top 10 are in the GTHA.
The number one most rat-infested city according to Orkin was Toronto, followed by Mississauga, Scarborough, London, and Etobicoke.
Additionally, Brampton was number seven, Hamilton was number nine, Oakville was number 11 and Burlington was number 13.
Further, over the last six months, rats have been migrating to residential neighbourhoods due to a decrease in garbage from restaurants—due to closures associated with the pandemic—and an increase in waste due to more people working and studying from home.
The rankings are based on the number of commercial and residential rodent—rats and mice—treatments carried out in the province by Orkin from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
Those who don’t want to spot a rat in their house or apartment can mitigate the risk of attracting them by:
- Seal cracks or holes with caulk or foam and install weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Keep shrubbery at least a metre away from the home exterior.
- Eliminate moisture sources, such as clogged gutters.
- Keep food preparation areas clean inside the home and thoroughly clean spills and crumbs.
- Clean trash cans regularly and ensure they are covered tightly.
Those interested in reading the full list may do so here.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies
Stay the know
Subscribe now to receive our daily email of today's top stories in your city!