Mississauga mayor vows to continue the fight to leave Peel Region
Mississauga’s desire to leave Peel Region is still very much on the table.
Mayor Bonnie Crombie says even though 2020 has been spent battling COVID-19, Mississauga still wants to go it alone.
The City’s idea to separate from Peel is a long-standing one, with the plan originating during Hazel McCallion’s tenure as mayor.
Mississauga believes operating as a single-tiered municipality would have financial benefits and greater awards. Essentially, Mississauga politicians believe we pay more into Peel than the services received.
Ultimately, the decision to allow Mississauga to leave rests in the hands of the Provincial government which as recently as last year decided to keep the current system in place.
“I have talked to the Premier (Doug Ford) about it and he is supportive of the concept,” Mayor Crombie told insauga.com. “But it is hard to implement ever, and certainly not right now.”
But Crombie insisted the issue isn’t going away and that Mississauga will “absolutely” be pushing for independence once government focus turns from that of the coronavirus.
The mayor said she has had continuing discussions with Ford, adding that former mayor McCallion has also raised the issue with the Premier.
- Mayor Bonnie Crombie Pushing for Mississauga to Leave Peel Region
- Mayor Bonnie Crombie And Peel Regional Chair Respond To Ford's Reversal On Cuts
- Doug Ford Gives Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion a New Job
- Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion Endorses Doug Ford
- Mississauga mayor Bonnie Crombie approves province's decision to move Peel into lockdown
- OPINION: Ontario’s new restrictions are pure theatre and everyone in Mississauga and Brampton should be furious
- Police won't randomly stop people or vehicles in Mississauga and Brampton
- Playgrounds allowed to reopen in Mississauga and Brampton
- Stay at home order extended 2 weeks and police have new powers in Brampton, Mississauga and Ontario
- Three of Ontario's worst COVID-19 hotspots are in Mississauga