Mississauga may once again ring in the New Year Eve at Celebration Square
Published October 20, 2021 at 9:28 am
Mississauga residents may once again be allowed to gather this Dec. 31 to ring in the new year at Celebration Square, but it will be with a number of COVID-19 restrictions in place.
In an interview yesterday afternoon with insauga.com publisher Khaled Iwamura, Mayor Bonnie Crombie said she believes the annual celebration, which was cancelled last year due to the pandemic, will take place this year.
“I think if it happens, it’ll definitely be modified with capacity limits, masking required and vaccination certificates (having to be shown),” she said.
New Year’s Eve celebrations at the 290,000-sq.-ft. Celebration Square typically attract upwards of 30,000 people, but that number might be cut in half this year if festivities get the green light.
In past years, the Celebration Square event has been the city’s biggest New Year’s Eve party. In 2019, Juno Award-winning hip hop artist Jazz Cartier headlined the event.
Ice skating, food trucks and fireworks have also been regular attractions at past events, but this year’s attractions have not yet been finalized.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies