Mississauga Man Charged in Toronto Thefts
A Mississauga man is one of two suspects charged after electronic equipment was stolen in Toronto.
The series of thefts took place from March 16 until May 17, say Toronto Police.
Officers began probing the incidents at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH).
That’s where 103 new laptop computers were stolen from a secure room on five separate occasions, investigators allege.
The laptops are worth $194,000 and some of the computers had been advertised online at Kijiji.ca
The equipment didn’t contain any client or patient information, say police.
A contract employee working in the IT department is allegedly responsible for the thefts.
Two addresses in Peel Region and Ajax were raided on May 20 at 6:15 p.m.
Investigators seized three Lenovo CAMH laptops, 34 other laptops, and $13,525 in cash.
Keerthikan Arulanandarajah, 26, of Ajax, is charged with theft over $5,000 and traffic in property obtained by crime.
Leshawn Bhatia, 37, of Mississauga, is charged with possess property obtained by crime for the purpose of trafficking and possession of proceeds of crime.
They’re scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall on June 25.
The investigation is ongoing.
Police say they have a list of serial numbers from the stolen laptops — anyone who believes they may have purchased one of these stolen computers is asked to call investigators.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak affecting staff members at Mississauga Hospital
- Justin Trudeau says we won’t return to complete normalcy until a vaccine is produced
- Pizza Pizza introducing new tamper-proof box
- Close to 500 new cases of COVID-19 found in Ontario, over 400 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- Robbers escape by air after stealing gold bars from Canadian mine in Mexico
- Suspect from Mississauga Arrested After More Than $20K Worth of Laptops Stolen in Oakville
- Two Teens Charged with Multiple Thefts in Mississauga
- Three People Arrested and Charged Following an Alleged Stolen Vehicle
- Peel Police Recover Stolen Item and Locate Illicit Drugs
- OPP Arrest And Charge Man With Possession Of Stolen Property From Mississauga