Mississauga Man Charged in Toronto Thefts
A Mississauga man is one of two suspects charged after electronic equipment was stolen in Toronto.
The series of thefts took place from March 16 until May 17, say Toronto Police.
Officers began probing the incidents at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH).
That’s where 103 new laptop computers were stolen from a secure room on five separate occasions, investigators allege.
The laptops are worth $194,000 and some of the computers had been advertised online at Kijiji.ca
The equipment didn’t contain any client or patient information, say police.
A contract employee working in the IT department is allegedly responsible for the thefts.
Two addresses in Peel Region and Ajax were raided on May 20 at 6:15 p.m.
Investigators seized three Lenovo CAMH laptops, 34 other laptops, and $13,525 in cash.
Keerthikan Arulanandarajah, 26, of Ajax, is charged with theft over $5,000 and traffic in property obtained by crime.
Leshawn Bhatia, 37, of Mississauga, is charged with possess property obtained by crime for the purpose of trafficking and possession of proceeds of crime.
They’re scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall on June 25.
The investigation is ongoing.
Police say they have a list of serial numbers from the stolen laptops — anyone who believes they may have purchased one of these stolen computers is asked to call investigators.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
- Residents Devastated After Homeless Man’s Garden Destroyed in Mississauga
- Mississauga School in Lockdown After Weapon Reportedly Seen
- Police Release Warning to Residents Following Multiple Sexual Assaults in Mississauga
- Massive New Food Delivery Service Has Arrived in Mississauga
- New Bank Fraud Scam Circulating in Mississauga
- Two Teens Charged with Multiple Thefts in Mississauga
- Mississauga Man Charged in Toronto Sex Assault
- Peel Police Arrest Man for Crime Spree Across Several Regions
- Two Mississauga Residents Charged in Connection with Marijuana Dispensary Robberies
- Teen Charged After Ramming Police Cruisers With Vehicle Stolen in Mississauga