Mississauga Man Arrested in Connection with Huge Drug Bust
A Mississauga man is facing charges following the seizure of a vast amount of drugs.
The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) recently announced that the seizure of approximately 200 kg (440 lbs) of hashish at the Port of Halifax led to the arrest of a Mississauga man.
Authorities say the goods (disguised as chocolate) were destined for Ontario, where the arrest occurred.
Reports indicates that on May 25, CBSA officers in Halifax, acting on a referral from the National Targeting Centre, noted anomalies in X-Ray images while examining a marine container. The shipment, declared as chocolate, originated in the Netherlands.
''This is a significant seizure, and a great example of how our border services officers use a combination of instinct, training and tools to intercept illegal drugs, and keep them off of our streets," says Calvin Christiansen, regional director general, CBSA Atlantic Region. "In collaboration with the RCMP and other law enforcement partners, we're proud to be able to protect the Canadian public from illegal activities and maintain the safety of our communities."
After further examination, officers located and seized 100 chocolate bars each containing two kilograms of hidden hashish. All evidence was turned over to the RCMP for further investigation.
On June 23, 51-year-old Owen Jagasar was charged with several offenses, including importation of a controlled substance under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA), possession for the purpose of trafficking under the CDSA and two counts of conspiring to commit an indictable offence under the Criminal Code
- Three Teens Arrested Following Hate-Motivated Crime in Mississauga
- Mississauga Politician Rescinds Award for Community Leader Who Expressed Discriminatory Views
- Top 5 Hottest Restaurants in Mississauga: Aug 11 - 17
- Canada's Getting a New Statutory Holiday
- Exciting Musical Event Coming to Mississauga For First Time Ever
- Police Hunt Suspect After Huge Amount of Drugs Found at Pearson Airport
- Six Arrested, Two Pending Arrest for Possession of Massive Amounts of Illegal Drugs
- Mississauga Man Arrested After Possible Cocaine Discovered in Trailer
- Mississauga Men Charged in Major Drug Trafficking Scheme
- Officers Find Heroin Concealed in Spools of Thread at Mississauga Airport