Mississauga Man Arrested Again for Stealing from Religious Donation Boxes
A Mississauga man who was arrested in June for numerous thefts from donation boxes at various Mosques throughout Mississauga has been arrested for a second time.
Ashraf Awad, 58, from Mississauga, went on a stealing spree between June 4 and June 17, 2017. Awad attended six separate religious faith centres in Mississauga, entered the religious buildings, and either stole the locked donation box containing money or broke into the box and removed the money from inside.
Awad had already been arrested and charged mid-June with five counts of theft under $5,000, one found of theft over $5,000, two counts of break and enter and theft and a final charge of break and enter instruments.
His total theft at the time amounted to approximately $12,000.
After his initial arrest and charge, Awad continued to steal from religious buildings throughout the Peel region.
He was arrested for the second time yesterday, Thursday, July 13, 2017, about a month after his initial arrest.
His charges are more varied this time, though they still include theft from several other religious institutions. Awad has now been charged with theft of a motor vehicle, fraud/use of a stolen credit card, mischief over $5,000, three counts of theft under $5,000, two counts of break and enter and theft, and five counts of breach of recognizance.
According to police, investigators and other Greater Toronto Area police agencies say that Awad is currently wanted in other regions for similar offences.
Awad's bail hearing is scheduled for Friday, July 14, 2017 to answer to the new charges.
Anyone with information on this investigation is asked to call investigators at 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 1233. Information may also be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or by visiting www.peelcrimestoppers.ca, or by sending a text message to CRIMES (274637) with the word "PEEL" and then your tip.
- CLOSURE: Fried chicken restaurant closed for health violations in Mississauga
- Major weather statement in effect for Mississauga
- Company creating close to 300 new jobs in Mississauga
- 40 YEARS LATER: Canada’s Biggest Evacuation in History Happened in Mississauga
- Don Cherry fired from Hockey Night in Canada
- Mississauga Man Arrested for Stealing from Religious Donation Boxes
- Police Issue Arrest Warrant for Break, Enter and Theft Suspect
- Mississauga Man Charged with Multiple Counts of Theft and Fraud
- Two Men Arrested in Connection With Mississauga Car Theft
- Man Arrested in Connection with Multiple Break-Ins in Mississauga