Mississauga joining Virtual Pride Parade today
While Pride may look a lot different this year, residents are determined to participate nonetheless.
The City will be joining Pride Toronto in its pride parade today, which is set to be a fully virtual affair.
“Mississauga is excited to join PrideToronto’s virtual Pride Parade for the first time in our City’s history,” Crombie said in a tweet.
“Though we may not be marching down the streets, Mississauga stands proud with our 2SLGBTQ+ community.”
Mississauga is excited to join @PrideToronto's virtual #Pride Parade for the first time in our City's history! Though we may not be marching down the streets, #Mississauga stands proud with our 2SLGBTQ+ community. Join live from 12-1:30 p.m here: https://t.co/xkQctVsU6e pic.twitter.com/rfZpimRQO2— Bonnie Crombie (@BonnieCrombie) June 28, 2020
Pride Toronto announced back in May that the annual parade would be going virtual this year to allow for proper physical distancing amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
This year, Pride Toronto is also emphasizing that it stands with Black communities as large protests against anti-Black racism have erupted here in Ontario and south of the border.
“As individuals, and together as an institution, we strongly reject racism and discrimination,” Pride Toronto said. “We recognize the pain and anger felt by Black communities and the additional marginalization and hurt experienced by those who also identify as queer and/or trans.”
- Virtual Pride Month being celebrated in Brampton
- Peel Pride celebrations are being held in Brampton and Mississauga in June this year
- Niagara Falls lit up like a rainbow for significant date in Pride Month
- June is Pride Month in Peel
- Mississauga hosting drag event, author talks and more to celebrate Pride month
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- Free Summer Scavenger Hunt happening in Hamilton
- Police looking for Oakville man who went missing Friday morning