Mississauga Family Needs Help After Brutal Murder of 14-Year-Old Boy
A family—and an entire community—is reeling after the brutal murder Riley Driver-Martin, a boy who was just 14-years-old when he was slain near his home in Mississauga.
Now, a family friend is reaching out to the community for support in the wake of Martin's tragic death.
"The goal of this fundraiser is to raise money for the family of the murder victim, 14 year old Riley Driver-Martin. He left behind his mom, younger brother and lots of friends and family that cared deeply for him," writes Tierra Santa, a co-worker of Martin's mother, on a GoFundMe page.
Peel police say Martin’s body was located on Friday, Dec. 7, 2018 around 8:00 a.m. after police were called to a park in the Lewisham Drive and Truscott Drive area.
On Friday, Dec. 7, 2018, 20-year-old Mississauga man Nicholas Mahabir was arrested and charged with second degree murder.
On Saturday, Dec. 8, 2018, an arrest warrant for second degree murder was issued for Mark Mahabir, a 20 year-old man from Mississauga and the brother of the other suspect.
That same day, the outstanding suspect surrendered to Peel Regional Police.
Santa says that everyone who knew Martin described him as charming and polite young man with a heart of gold.
Shortly after Martin's death, Clarkson Secondary School issued a statement identifying Martin as a member of its school community.
The school remained open for several hours on Saturday, Dec. 8 to provide support services to grieving staff and students.
"His presence is greatly missed at the family table," Santa says.
Santa says that no one can ever prepare for the death of child.
"No one can be prepared for the loss of a family member, but even more so a child. Knowing you will never be able to see, speak to, hear from or hold your child again is unimaginable," she wrote.
"No amount of money can ease the pain this family is feeling, but any amount of monetary support would help to ease some of the financial stress."
Santa has already surpassed her fundraising goal of $5,000.
- Huge Snowfall Set to Hit Mississauga This Weekend
- Ontario Government Cancels Free Tuition for Low-Income Students
- Man and Woman Wanted After Five People Struck by Vehicle Outside Bar in Mississauga
- This Mississauga Resident is Kicking Off the Weekend With a Huge Lotto Win
- A Total Lunar Eclipse is Happening in Mississauga Soon
- Police Arrest Second Suspect After 14-Year-Old Boy Murdered in Mississauga
- Police Seeking Second Suspect in Murder of 14 Year Old Boy in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Man Arrested in Connection with Murder of 14 Year Old Boy in Mississauga
- Canada-Wide Arrest Warrant Issued for Murder Suspect After Suspicious Death in Brampton
- Police Arrest Second Man Wanted in Connection with Murder of 18-Year-Old