Mississauga Explosion Update: 9 p.m.
June 28, 2016, 9 p.m.
There is no access to Rathburn Rd. (to the south), Golden Orchard (to the west), Eastgate Pwky. (to the north), Dixie Rd. (to the east).
RESIDENTS THAT LIVE WITHIN THE EVACUTION AREA:
There is no access to Rathburn Rd. (to the south), Golden Orchard (to the west), Eastgate Pwky. (to the north), Dixie Rd. (to the east). At this time, 58 homes have had their utilities turned off. If you live in this area, please make overnight accommodations. The affected area will remain closed off tonight. If you need access to medication, please report it to staff at the Burnhamthorpe Community Centre. If you want to get your pet(s), please see a Peel Regional Police officer at Hickory Dr. and Hickory Dr. (on the perimeter of the evacuation area).
MiWay buses are transporting people affected by the explosion to the Burnhamthorpe Community Centre: 1500 Gulleden Drive.
Peel Social Services is onsite and can assist families as needed. At this time donations are not needed for residents.
The Ontario Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM) will be onsite to conduct an investigation. Mississauga Fire and Emergencies Services, Peel Regional Police and Peel EMS continue to be onsite working to stabilize the site.
Residents can call 311 and follow @peelpolicemedia and @citymississauga on Twitter for updates.
(Photo by: Zed Zidaric)
CAUGHT ON VIDEO: House Explodes in Mississauga Aftermath
Reports are early but according the Peel Regional Police Twitter account that a house on Hickory Drive near Dixie and Rathburn has exploded. Read more
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Major road closed in aftermath of fatal crash in Mississauga
- This Mississauga neighbourhood has one of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rates in Ontario
- Major road closed due to serious crash in Mississauga
- ‘You don’t want to fall into that three per cent category’: Ontario ICU doctor on battling COVID-19
- Peel Region follows provincial downward trend in new COVID-19 cases