Mississauga Explosion Update: 9 a.m.
9 a.m. Update: Hickory Drive Explosion
Jun 29, 2016
- According to Global News one person was killed and several others injured.
- One home is completely flattened and left 25 others damaged.
- Utilities in the area have also been shut off as a precaution for emergency crews and residents.
- The perimeter has shrunk from last evening. The following road closures are in effect: Rathburn Rd. (to the south), Hickory Drive (to the west), Hickory Drive (to the north), Dixie Rd. (to the east).
- City officials continue to assess damages. Investigation is ongoing with the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management.
- Residents re-entering their homes who notice damage are asked to report it to 311 and their insurance company. Residents who have been impacted and do not have access to their homes are requested to contact 905-453-2121 (ext. 1241 ) - Peel Regional Police call-in line to confirm their well-being.
- The reception centre at Burnhamthorpe Community Centre, 1500 Gulleden Drive will remain open until 5 p.m. today. The need for the reception centre will be assessed throughout the day.
- Peel Social Services, Red Cross and the Insurance Bureau of Canada are onsite and can assist families as needed.
- Burnhamthorpe Library will be delayed in opening this morning. Residents are asked to use neighbouring libraries. In addition, St. Basil School (4235 Golden Orchard) is also closed today.
- First responders including Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services, Peel Regional Police and Peel EMS continue to stabilize the site.
- Residents can call 311 and follow @peelpolicemedia and @citymississauga on Twitter for updates.
(Photo by: Zed Zidaric)
CAUGHT ON VIDEO: House Explodes in Mississauga Aftermath
Reports are early but according the Peel Regional Police Twitter account that a house on Hickory Drive near Dixie and Rathburn has exploded. Read more
- OPP Provide Update Into Major Highway 401 Collision Including Four-Year-Old Girl
- BMW Crashes Into Chinese Restaurant In Mississauga
- VIDEO: Four-Year-Old Ejected From Vehicle During Highway 401 Collision In Mississauga
- A Guinness World Record Has Been Set at Square One in Mississauga
- No Frills Has Introduced A Game That Lets Players Win PC Optimum Points