Mississauga Earns Impressive Ranking on Prestigious List
For the past few years, Mississauga has made headlines for being an expensive place to live—but that's not all the city is (or should) be known for.
The city, the sixth-largest in Canada, has quickly become famous for its vast and ambitious development projects, exciting condo boom and measured urbanization.
It's also being recognized as a great place to do business.
Several Ontario cities—including Mississauga—were recently featured in the 2019/2020 American Cities of the Future report.
fDi, a division of Financial Times Limited, ranked 421 locations across North and South America in five categories: economic potential, business friendliness, human capital and lifestyle, cost-effectiveness and connectivity.
Mississauga was ranked the most business-friendly mid-sized city in the western hemisphere.
The report says that with its knowledge-rich talent pool and a focus on growing such business sectors as cleantech, advanced manufacturing, life sciences, finance, IT and communications technologies, Mississauga takes the top spot overall as the "Mid-sized American City of the Future."
Mississauga also placed third in connectivity, fourth in economic potential and 10th in FDI Strategy.
"Mississauga has a surplus of talented, skilled and educated human capital, and is home to world-class post-secondary institutions, including the University of Toronto Mississauga and Sheridan College's Pilon School of Business," Mayor Bonnie Crombie said.
"We are strategically located in the heart of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, connected by an extensive network of highways, railways and Canada's largest airport, Toronto Pearson International Airport."
This year, Canadian cities—many in Ontario—dominated the business friendliness category.
Other Ontario cities named in the 2019/2020 report across all categories include Toronto, Brampton, London, Hamilton, Kitchener, Cambridge and Burlington.
Additional "cities to watch" include Ottawa, Oakville, Markham, Guelph, Waterloo, Windsor, Niagara Falls, Brantford, Sarnia, Sudbury, Chatham-Kent, Kingston and Pickering.
- Here’s when Mississauga’s newest park will be opening
- Trudeau attends Mississauga rally in bulletproof vest due to security threats
- These Are Some of the Strangest Objects Found on the GO Train
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist killed on QEW identified as man from Mississauga
- Walmart launches brand new (and super fast) delivery service in Mississauga
- Mississauga Named Top Mid-Sized City Of The Future In North And South America
- Mississauga Named City of the Future
- How Do Canadian Cities Compare with US Cities in Home Affordability?
- Mississauga Ranked One of Ontario's Most Expensive Cities for Car Insurance
- Mississauga is One of the "Rattiest" Cities in Ontario