Mississauga Doctor Arrested, Charged with Fraud
A Mississauga doctor is in hot water after an investigation from Ontario Provincial Police has him suspected of fraud.
Dr. Essam Samy Michael, 57, was charged with one count of OHIP-related fraud over $5,000, the Orangeville Banner reports.
According to police, Michael is accused of billing OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) for services that were either not provided, or billed inappropriately. The investigation is still ongoing, with police trying to determine how much money OHIP has lost as a result.
Michael is a doctor of obstetrics and gynecology, as well as the founder of the Astra Fertility Group, the article reports. The group has offices in Mississauga, Brampton, Milton, Chatham and Belleville.
Michael will be appearing in court on November 7.
- Busy Mississauga library to close for two years for a multi-million-dollar renovation
- VIDEO: Man wanted for allegedly yelling racial comments and threats in Mississauga
- Police investigating hotel robbery in Mississauga
- 16-year-old found with loaded gun in Mississauga, police say
- City still concerned about controversial convent and senior’s residence in Mississauga
- Mississauga Woman Charged in Connection with “Fraud Caper Investigation”
- Toronto Doctor Arrested and Charged with Murder in Mississauga
- Retired Peel Police Officer Charged in Fraud Case
- Mississauga Doctor Charged With Sexual Assault
- Two Mississauga Women Charged in Connection With Immigration-Related Fraud