Mississauga city councillor running as candidate in next provincial election
A Mississauga city councillor and former MPP will be running to reclaim her previous position in the next Ontario election.
Liberals in the Mississauga East-Cooksville riding have nominated Dipika Damerla, city councillor for Ward 7, as their Ontario Liberal Party (OLP) candidate for the 2022 provincial election.
Before being elected to city council in 2018 (replacing long-serving city councillor Nando Iannicca), Damerla spent seven years representing Mississauga East-Cooksville as their MPP as well as Ontario's Associate Minister of Health & Long Term Care and Minister of Seniors Affairs.
"I have known Dipika for many years and she has been a relentless champion for her community," said OLP Leader Steven Del Duca. "I look forward to working together as we prepare for the next provincial election."
Some of the causes she championed for as Cabinet Minister include 350 new beds for the Mississauga Hospital, two new long-term care homes, two new schools, and increasing service on the Milton Go line by 40%.
"I would like to thank Mississauga East-Cooksville Liberals for once again placing their trust in me to carry the banner in 2022," said Damerla.
"I'm excited to join a diverse team of candidates, united behind a plan to improve the lives of people in Mississauga East-Cooksville and across Ontario."
- Blackberry Professional Wins Ontario PC Party Nod in Mississauga East-Cooksville
- Interesting Developments for Ontario Liberals in Mississauga
- Former City Council Candidate Files Complaint Against Mississauga Councillor
- Ontario Liberals pick Steven Del Duca to be their new leader at Mississauga convention
- More Beds are Coming to Long-Term Care Facilities in Mississauga
- Mississauga man murdered at Wasaga Beach, Brampton man one of two charged
- Brampton reveals photo radar locations
- VIDEO: Aftermath of multi-vehicle crash involving Mississauga Transit bus sends four to hospital
- Oakville driver stabbed in face, Mississauga man now charged
- Doner kebab chain opens Mississauga location