Mississauga, Brampton companies named among Canada's Greenest Employers 2021
Nine Mississauga and Brampton companies are among those being recognized for doing their part when it comes to climate change in Canada.
The local businesses were named Canada’s Greenest Employers 2021, as selected by Mediacorp Canada Inc. and published in a magazine on Monday.
Mississauga employers making the list include the Credit Valley Conservation Authority, Nightingale Corp., Schneider Electric Canada Inc., Symcor Inc., Hatch Ltd. and HP Canada Co.
Brampton businesses named included Canon Canada Inc., Loblaw Companies Ltd. and Medtronic Canada ULC.
The employers are being celebrated for having the kind of practical strategies that are making a real difference, showing sustainability and success go hand in hand.
“These employers have developed exceptional sustainability initiatives - and are attracting people to their organizations because of their environmental leadership,” Mediacorp said about the competition on its website.
Open to any employer in Canada, the editors of Canada’s Top 100 Employers evaluate businesses based on four main criteria:
- - the unique environmental initiatives and programs they have developed;
- - the extent to which they have been successful in reducing the organization’s own environmental footprint;
- - the degree to which the employers are involved in these programs and whether they contribute any unique skills;
- - the extent to which these initiatives have become linked to the employer’s public identity, attracting new employees and clients to the organization.
The nine Mississauga and Brampton winners and the reason for their selection were:
Credit Valley Conservation Authority / CVC, Mississauga
The environment, conservation and wildlife organization has 213 employees and has set up its own organic composting where no municipal organic program is available. Numerous initiatives include tree planting, garbage clean-ups and long-term garlic mustard weed-pulling.
Nightingale Corp., Mississauga
The furniture manufacturer has 113 employees. Continues to exceed minimum industry standard ensuring all of its chairs are Greenguard-certified as low-emitting products and have a longer lifespan than normal. They also purchased their own building and are in process of upgrading lighting systems as well as energy efficient air conditioning and heating systems.
Schneider Electric Canada Inc., Mississauga
The industrial automation and controls company employs 2,024 people and features numerous activities organized by its head office employee-led green team, from a book share and reuse program to clean-up days at nearby parks.
Symcor Inc., Mississauga
The data processing and support services company has 1,580 employees. They encourage alternative modes of getting to and from work, including secure bike parking, EV parking, preferred parking for carpoolers and transit discounts. Also support an extensive recycling program to capture non-conventional recyclables, from phones to candy wrappers.
Hatch Ltd., Mississauga
Engineering; 3,381 employees. Features water efficient appliances and automated building sensor technology at its head office.
HP Canada Co., Mississauga
The computer technology and services company has 498 employees. They incorporate environmental considerations into all product design through its formal Design for Sustainability program.
Canon Canada Inc., Brampton
The imaging equipment and information services company has 974 employees. Supports numerous local environmental initiatives through its Branch Out program that is funded through its longstanding toner recycling program. Past initiatives have included tree planting, invasive species removal, shoreline restoration and planting native pollinator gardens.
Loblaw Companies Ltd., Brampton
The supermarkets and grocery stores business has 27,360 employees and manages a range of initiatives to increase consumer access to sustainable products, including its longstanding PC GREEN product line.
Medtronic Canada ULC, Brampton
The electromedical apparatus manufacturer has 682 employees and is a founding member of Ontario Electronics Stewardship Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care.
- 19 Mississauga-Based Companies Make the Best Employers List in Canada
- Huge Number of Mississauga-Based Companies Make Prestigious Best Employers List in Canada
- Mississauga Makes Canada's Top Employers for Young People List
- Did Your Company Make the List of Canada's Top 100 Employers?
- Multiple Mississauga-based companies make prestigious best employers list
- VIDEO: Canada Post truck rollover leads to major delays on 401 in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Aftermath of double fatal collision in Mississauga
- Brief foot pursuit leads to arrest of Mississauga man after a pair of pharmacy robberies
- Canada's top doc warns that full vaccination does not equal full protection from COVID-19
- Frost advisory in effect for Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton and Milton