Mississauga blueliner Del Mastro to represent Canada at U-18 worlds later this month
Mississauga Steelheads defenceman Ethan Del Mastro will be representing Canada at the 2021 IIHF World Under-18 Hockey Championships set to take place April 26 to May 6 in Frisco and Plano, Texas.
The six-foot-three rookie defenceman, who was selected 12th overall by Mississauga in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, is one of 25 players named to the national team roster on Thursday.
Del Mastro has yet to play a game in the OHL with the league and province having yet to work out a COVID-19 return to play plan with the province.
“We are excited to announce the 25 players that have been selected to wear the Maple Leaf at the 2021 IIHF U18 World Championship,” said Hockey Canada director of player personnel Alan Miller, who assembled the team along with manager of national teams Benoit Roy. “Despite a difficult year for our players and staff, we are confident this group will represent our country with pride while giving us a chance to compete for a gold medal in Texas."
Prior to travelling to Frisco on April 17, members of the team and staff will self-isolate at home beginning April 12 and will be tested for COVID-19 three times. Upon arrival in Texas, all team personnel will enter a four-day quarantine at the hotel before dropping the puck on the pre-tournament camp on April 21.
Canada, which has won gold three times since 2002, will face Sweden in the tournament opener on April 26 at 9 p.m. All games are being broadcast on TSN.
- Shane has the Wright stuff for U-18 Canadian national team
- Burlington's Wright named to National junior team development camp roster
- Oakville's Evangelista named to National junior team development camp roster
- Two Oakville players invited to try out for 2022 Canadian Olympic women's hockey team
- Oakville teen named to Skate Canada National Team
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Free Summer Scavenger Hunt happening in Hamilton