Mississauga Basketball Star A Top NBA Draft Pick
The 2019 NBA draft will be on June 20, and many Canadians will be happy to know that a Mississauga teen is on top that list.
RJ Barrett, a Mississaugua 19-year-old, has been a star on his college basketball team and is now making his way to the big league. The teen announced this week that he will be leaving his college basketball team to try for the NBA.
Barrett took to Twitter to thank his fans, coaches and his team for their support and officially say that he will be declaring for the 2019 NBA draft. He says, “it was a dream of mine to play at Duke ever since I was a young kid. It’s also a dream of mine to play in the NBA and have great success there.”
I want to thank God, my family, my coaches and everyone that has helped me reach this decision pic.twitter.com/z3GwdcV2ht— Rj Barrett (@RjBarrett6) April 10, 2019
The Duke University student has gained popularity as he took his team, the Duke Blue Devils, to the number one spot in the final AP Top 25, which is the the Associated Press’ weekly rankings in college sports. The rankings are compiled by broadcasters and sportswriters across the nation.
Barrett is also the top overall seed in the NCAA tournament. The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulates athletes of 1,268 North American institutions and conferences.
According to the CBC, Barrett was a first-team all-ACC selection, a consensus first-team all-American, and the USA Today national player of the year. He also scored 22.6 per game in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).
There are also many other Ontario players entering the 2019 draft such as, Mfiondu Kabengele from Burlington, Simisola Shittu also from Burlington, Nickeil Alexander-Walker from Toronto, and Ignas Brazdeikis from Orangeville.
Photo courtesy of RJ Barrett.
- BREAKING: First coronavirus patient confirmed at Sunnybrook Hospital
- Various milk products recalled due to sanitizer contamination
- Teachers' strike to affect Peel and Hamilton-Wentworth school boards
- Power outage affecting over 600 homes and businesses in Mississauga
- Ontarians are being warned not to participate in the TikTok penny challenge
- Mississauga’s R.J Barrett Is Top Pick In NBA Draft For The Knicks
- First Ever Mississauga Poetry Slam Team Unveiled
- Canada Basketball Makes Raptors Superfan Nav Bhatia Ambassador
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Wins Indian Wells Title in California Tournament
- The Team Behind Insauga.com Expands into Hamilton