Mississauga and Brampton worse than Toronto in COVID-19 positivity by almost six percent
For the sixth week in a row, Peel Region (Brampton, Mississauga, and Caledon) has the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rate out of all of Ontario's public health units.
Toronto-based research group ICES ranked all 34 public health units in Ontario for the week of April 18 to 24 based on their percent positivity (percentage of positive tests in the area).
Peel currently tops the list at 18.73%, almost six percentage points higher than Toronto at 12.84%.
Ontario overall is listed sixth at 9.15%.
The top 15 public health units are listed above
Peel's percentage is continuing to steadily rise, having reported 18.09% positivity the week prior.
COVID-19 case counts in Mississauga and Brampton are continuing to climb, hitting a new record of 1,232 cases on Friday, April 23.
Peel, alongside other regions, continues to see a steady rise in incidence of COVID-19 cases among most groups of school-aged children (elementary to secondary), young adults aged 18-22 years, and pre-school aged children (less than 2 years and 2-3 years).
ICES says percent positivity reflects both the number of COVID-19 cases diagnosed and the number of people who were tested, and the numbers may fluctuate based on these factors.
The full data is available to read here.
Data courtesy of ICES, photo courtesy of The Canadian Press
- Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon has an alarming 18 percent COVID-19 positivity rate
- Mississauga and Brampton have worst COVID-19 positivity in Ontario; cases rising among school children and young adults
- The worst COVID-19 percent positivity rate in Ontario are in Mississauga and Brampton
- By far the highest COVID-19 positivity in Ontario is in Mississauga and Brampton
- Mississauga and Brampton have Ontario's highest COVID-19 percent positivity
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Child dies in Brampton, cause not yet determined
- Woman in Brampton struck and killed while trying to retrieve something from trunk
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Juveniles from Mississauga and Brampton charged after knives and screwdrivers used to rob stores