Mississauga and Brampton schools get hit by the COVID-19 variants
COVID-19 variants are showing up in Peel (Mississauga and Brampton) schools.
"Yes, we have seen confirmed (variants of concern) VOCs in our school community," Peel Public Health confirmed when asked by insauga.com.
However, the health department won't identify the schools involved or say how many cases they are dealing with. It is not known if students or teachers are the ones who have been infected.
"Measures have been taken to protect the relevant school communities," the health department confirmed via email. "We do not presently report specific schools that have seen VOCs as the same protective measures are deployed when exposures are detected."
Variants of concern are mutated versions of COVID-19 and have arrived in Canada in different forms. The ones detected here are the United Kingdom and South African versions.
In Peel, 60 variant cases have been confirmed and more than 200 other people are suspected of carrying these more transmissible versions of the virus.
Insauga has contacted both the Peel District School Board and the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School for further information, but have yet to hear back from them.
- COVID-19 variant detected at Peel District School Board school
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 30
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 29
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – October 1
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 21
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- PHOTOS: Over 100 townhouses planned for brand new neighbourhood in Mississauga
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19
- Give AstraZeneca vaccine to residents 18+ in hotspot areas like Mississauga and Brampton: Ontario Liberal leader
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Fight breaks out at gas station in Brampton