Mississauga and Brampton lead Ontario in COVID-19 cases per capita, but lag far behind in vaccines administered
Despite having one of the highest COVID-19 positivity rates in Ontario, Peel Region ranks towards the bottom of the list when it comes to vaccines per capita.
According to Bill Comeau, a COVID-19 data analyst for Ontario, Peel has the most cases per 100,000 people, yet ranks 25 in vaccines per 100,000 people.
As of Monday (April 26), Peel has had a total of 91,034, 909 of which were new that day. Of these, 2,500 were hospitalized and 692 died.
As of Saturday (April 24), Peel had 385 cases per 100,000 people, the most in Ontario. However, the Region had only received 27.4 vaccination doses per 100,000 people, which was 25th in Ontario.
According to the data, Algoma and North Bay were ahead of Peel in vaccination doses per 100,000 people, despite having only 19 and nine cases per 100,000 people, respectively.
"I don’t believe Ontario is doing enough to address vaccine risk priorities at the regional level. The PHU 'pseudo-political' structure is driving inequities of its own," Comeau said in a post shared on social media.
"My understanding is that part of the distribution is based on postal code risk, but a large portion is allocated to PHUs based on population, which is not science-based from what I can determine," he added.
- Peel Region reports 561 new cases of COVID-19 today, Ontario over 3,000 mark
- Ontario reports 1,022 new cases of COVID-19, 250 in Peel Region
- New cases of COVID-19 in Ontario show positive trend, Peel Region still second most affected area
- Peel Region again has the highest number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario
- Ontario reports 1,546 new cases of COVID-19, 329 cases in Peel
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
- No criminal circumstances in death of Brampton child, say police
- Popular Korean-style hotdogs joint coming to Mississauga