Mississauga and Brampton have worst COVID-19 positivity in Ontario; cases rising among school children and young adults
For two weeks in a row, Peel Region (Brampton, Mississauga, and Caledon) is the region with the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rate (percentage of positive COVID-19 tests in the area) in Ontario.
Toronto-based research group ICES ranked all 34 public health units in Ontario based on their percent positivity for the week of March 21 to 27.
Peel topped the list at 8.92%, followed by Toronto at 7.17% and York at 7.01%.
Ontario overall is listed sixth, at 4.94%.
The top 15 public health units are listed above
Peel's percentage is up from the previous week, where it reported 8.38%.
ICES says percent positivity reflects both the number of COVID-19 cases diagnosed and the number of people who were tested, and the numbers may fluctuate based on these factors.
Additionally, ICES says there has been a steady rise in incidence of COVID-19 among all groups of school-aged children in Peel, Toronto, York, and Ottawa.
“There have also been steady and steep increases among young adults aged 18-22 years (a group including undergraduate university/college students as well as many individuals in the public-facing workforce) in Toronto, Peel, York, Ottawa, Durham, Hamilton, Middlesex-London, and Sudbury,” ICES added.
The full data is available to read here.
Data courtesy of ICES
- By far the highest COVID-19 positivity in Ontario is in Mississauga and Brampton
- The worst COVID-19 percent positivity rate in Ontario are in Mississauga and Brampton
- Mississauga and Brampton have highest COVID-19 percent positivity in Ontario for four consecutive weeks
- Mississauga and Brampton have the second highest COVID-19 percent positivity in Ontario
- Mississauga and Brampton have Ontario's highest COVID-19 percent positivity
- Mississauga, Brampton services will be affected by new federal holiday in September
- Dog dragged by car rescued in Mississauga by 'kind-hearted residents,' driver was allegedly impaired
- More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come as the Delta variant spreads: poll
- Peel Police on scene in Mississauga after cyclist struck by car
- 7 ways we can crush COVID in Mississauga and Brampton