Milton's Lufile and Golden Eagles look to stun Buckeyes in NCAA March Madness opener
Milton March Madness fans will have someone local to root for when the annual NCAA Basketball Tournament begins later this week.
Milton native Elijah Lufile and his No. 16 seed Oral Roberts Golden Eagles (16-10) will look to stun the top-seeded Ohio State Buckeyes (20-8) in their first-round Midwest Region game, Friday, at 3 p.m.
The six-foot-eight, 275 lbs. junior forward, who attended Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School in Milton, averaged 5.6 points, 5.3 rebounds and 0.2 assists for the Golden Eagles this season.
Lufile is the youngest of three brothers in the talented hoops family. Chadrack played at Wichita Stage, while Abednego took to the court with East Tennessee State and Arkansas Tech.
The 68-team tournament, which was cancelled last season because of the pandemic, officially kicks off Thursday with two First four- play-in games.
The championship game is scheduled for April 5.
The entire tournament this year will be held in Indianapolis, Indiana and surrounding areas.
ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY PHOTO
- Lufile and Golden Eagles off to Sweet 16 at NCAA Tournament
- Brampton's Blair looking to lead Hoyas to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
- Mississauga's Jack and Seminoles set for NCAA March Madness opener
- Oakville's Cyrus looking to lead Gauchos to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
- Oakville's Cerantola looking to lead Mississippi State at College World Series
- Man shot in central Hamilton, street closed
- Brampton truck driver sentenced to prison after 2019 collision that killed three
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Suspect sought after carjacking in Mississauga
- Police after four suspects who stole $10,000 of items from Milton Shoppers Drug Mart