Milton's Lufile and Golden Eagles look to stun Buckeyes in NCAA March Madness opener
Milton March Madness fans will have someone local to root for when the annual NCAA Basketball Tournament begins later this week.
Milton native Elijah Lufile and his No. 16 seed Oral Roberts Golden Eagles (16-10) will look to stun the top-seeded Ohio State Buckeyes (20-8) in their first-round Midwest Region game, Friday, at 3 p.m.
The six-foot-eight, 275 lbs. junior forward, who attended Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School in Milton, averaged 5.6 points, 5.3 rebounds and 0.2 assists for the Golden Eagles this season.
Lufile is the youngest of three brothers in the talented hoops family. Chadrack played at Wichita Stage, while Abednego took to the court with East Tennessee State and Arkansas Tech.
The 68-team tournament, which was cancelled last season because of the pandemic, officially kicks off Thursday with two First four- play-in games.
The championship game is scheduled for April 5.
The entire tournament this year will be held in Indianapolis, Indiana and surrounding areas.
ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY PHOTO
- Lufile and Golden Eagles off to Sweet 16 at NCAA Tournament
- Brampton's Blair looking to lead Hoyas to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
- Mississauga's Jack and Seminoles set for NCAA March Madness opener
- Oakville's Cyrus looking to lead Gauchos to upset in NCAA March Madness opener
- Little Native Hockey League to Hold Tournament in Mississauga
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- Give AstraZeneca vaccine to residents 18+ in hotspot areas like Mississauga and Brampton: Ontario Liberal leader
- PHOTOS: Over 100 townhouses planned for brand new neighbourhood in Mississauga
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Fight breaks out at gas station in Brampton