Milton’s home-building pledge could far exceed goals set by Bill 23
Published March 8, 2023 at 3:05 pm
The Town of Milton is not only on pace to meet the housing goal set by the province in Bill 23, they could exceed it by 10,000.
A report presented to council this week listed eight significant housing developments as its pledge to meet the goals established in Bill 23, More Homes Built Faster Act, 2022.
The goal for Milton in that legislation is to build 21,000 units by 2031.
The list contained in the report would see 31,704 units built by the deadline:
- Bristol Survey Secondary Plan – potential delivery of 1,024 units by 2031
- Sherwood Survey Secondary Plan – potential delivery of 1,396 units by 2031
- Boyne Survey Secondary Plan – potential delivery of 16,182 units by 2031
- Trafalgar Secondary Plan – potential delivery of 4,080 units by 2031
- Britannia Secondary Plan – potential delivery of 2,130 units by 2031
- Agerton Secondary Plan – potential delivery of 1,637 units by 2031
- Milton Education Village – potential delivery of 1,856 units by 2031
- Milton Mobility Hub – potential delivery of 3,399 units by 2031
“The Town of Milton has embraced development and continues to be one of the fastest growing communities in Canada,” said the report.
“Through the Province’s A Place to Grow – Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Milton is expected to have a population of 350,000 by the year 2051.”
The report does caution that Milton relies on the Region of Halton to meet the goal.
“As a lower-tier municipality, the Town relies on Halton Region to deliver the necessary servicing infrastructure (water and sewer) to facilitate growth. Bringing forward new housing in a greenfield or intensification areas is a multifaceted process. The delivery of Regional infrastructure is critical to enable Milton’s pledge. Town staff is working closely with Halton Region staff to facilitate a pipeline for growth in the post-Bill 23 environment where Regional infrastructure supports municipal visions for growth.”insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising