Milton Fire Department Plan includes addition of two new stations to keep up with growth
Published July 20, 2021 at 8:59 pm
To keep up with rapid growth, the Town of Milton is planning to build two new fire stations and hire more than 80 additional firefighters over the next 10 years.
The two new stations are all part of the Town’s 2021-31 Fire Department Master Plan, a long-range strategic planning framework to guide the priorities and objectives of the Milton Fire Department.
The strategic planning will help the Town deliver fire protection services over the next decade to a population that is expected to reach 219,900 by 2031.
According to the plan, Fire Station No. 6 would be completed by 2026 and No. 7 by 2029. Both would staff 20 full-time firefighters and 20 part-time firefighters will also be hired for Fire Station No. 7.
Also included in the master plan, at an estimated cost of $3 million, is the gradual hiring of 24 additional full-time firefighters and four platoon chiefs, all by 2025.
The Fire Master Plan, which includes a Community Risk Assessment (C.R.A), is guided by public education and prevention, fire safety standards and enforcement and emergency response (fire suppression).
Key actions from the plan include:
- Developing a hiring strategy – To fully staff existing urban fire stations.
- Creating inspection and public education cycles – To ensure efficient fire protection services in Milton
- Establishing emergency response performance benchmarks – To establish Council-approved performance benchmarks for emergency response in the community.
- Planning for the construction of new fire stations – Two new stations to be built over next 10 years to keep pace with Town’s growth.
- Enhancing diversity and inclusion efforts – with a strong focus on implementing innovative recruitment tactics to better reflect the community served.
The Fire Master Plan includes an implementation plan that features proposed schedule and estimated operating and capital costs for each division, including administration, fire prevention, operations, emergency management, communications, training and facilities, apparatus and equipment.
TOWN OF MILTON PHOTOinsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies