Milton fire department issues warning about home heating devices


Published February 15, 2022 at 11:49 am


Due to the extreme cold that the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) has been getting, the Milton fire department has issued another reminder about heating safety.

As a result of the cold, many residents have been using heating equipment in their homes this winter.

Residents are being reminded to keep space heaters at least one metre away from flammable items such as curtains, upholstery and clothing.

“It may be a little chilly outside, but don’t forget about the importance of heating safety,” warned the Milton fire department on Twitter.

It’s also important to remember that fireplaces, fireplace inserts, wood stoves and chimneys can all be causes of fires, which is why it’s important to have functional carbon monoxide alarms on every storey of your home that are tested every month.

Additionally, all heating equipment should be installed by a qualified technician, heating systems should be cleaned annually and outside heating vents should not be blocked.

Residents are also reminded to use a fire screen around the fireplace and to allow all ashes from wood stoves or fireplaces to cool before emptying them into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid that is kept outside.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising